Prevention of Mother to Child Transmission (PMTCT)
This programme area is responsible for the prevention of mother to child transmission of HIV in Sri Lanka through an integrated approach with the maternal and child health services. Sri Lanka was certified by WHO as a country that has eliminated mother to child transmission of HIV and Syphilis in 2020. Revalidation of the same was done 2021.
Sub - component/s - This includes the four "Prongs"
- Prevent HIV in women of reproductive age.
- Prevent unintended pregnancy in women with HIV.
- Prevent HIV transmission from mother to child.
- Provide ongoing care and support to mothers, their children, and families.
Scope of work
- To work within and support the relevant NAC technical working group to develop and regularly up-date national policies, strategies, guidelines, protocols, and standardized operational procedures (SOP) for implementation of PMTCT of HIV services in Sri Lanka.
- To collaborate with senior management team (SMT) and other relevant authorities in decision making and carrying out of PMTCT of HIV services.
- To work with other NSACP Units to develop comprehensive and coordinated plans for implementation of the National Strategic Plan and other relevant activities.
- To coordinate and work in partnership with public, private, civil society organizations, and development partners at local, national, and international level.
- To maintain the provision of PMTCT of HIV services through the service delivery points of the National STD/AIDS control Programme and government health facilities in quality assured manner.
- To coordinate with and support institutions within and outside the Ministry of Health in the expansion of appropriate, high quality PMTCT of HIV services.
- Training and capacity building of individuals / institutions in the public, private and civil society organizations on PMTCT of HIV services, in partnership with relevant programme areas in the NSACP.
- To supervise and monitor the quality of PMTCT of HIV services in the programme.
- Provision of technical support, assistance and guidance to provinces, districts and other organizations and agencies in improving quality, supply, and access to PMTCT of HIV services.
- Need assessment and provision of technical assistance for supply and procurement of necessary items or services for PMTCT of HIV services.